Pages

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Evelyn's Birth Story

It's been a while since I've posted and it's mostly because I have been way too busy snuggling with my new bundle of joy. Let me tell you a little bit about her journey getting here...
Photo Credit: Mary Horne Photo
December 19th 2016, 10:30 PM, I was minding my own business watching TV with my husband when I peed my pants. At this point in life I was pretty used to peeing my pants every time I sneezed or laughed, but I thought it was weird that this time I hadn't been doing either of those things. So I got up, changed my clothes and as I walked through the kitchen I peed my pants again and thought to myself "Man, this girl must be sitting RIGHT on my bladder because I just can't hold it in!" So I went and changed, hoping I wouldn't have to change a third time. But alas, the third time came and by this point I started wondering if it was more than pee. So I changed AGAIN, laid down on the bed and pulled out my phone to look up what it's like to have your water break . Most everything I read told me it was a huge gush of water-like waterfall status. I even read one forum where a lady was questioning whether her water had broken and someone commented something along the lines of "haha trust me, if your water broke you would know it." So I determined that my water had not broken because I was only trickling-not gushing, and I did not KNOW it as miss expert thought I should. This was just a matter of re-potty training myself. I sat back up and I peed; I laid back down and I peed, I sat up again and you guessed it-wee wee wee all the way home. My gut feeling was disagreeing with what the internet was telling me, so I told Brandon that maybe we should take a drive to the hospital.
Photo Credit: Mary Horne Photo
At this point it was probably around 11:30 pm and as we drove I thought to myself "I'm going to be so embarrassed when they tell me I'm just peeing my pants. But at least this will be a funny story to tell the girls at work tomorrow. I wonder how late we'll get home. Hopefully I can get at least a couple hours of sleep before it's time to get up."

Photo Credit: Mary Horne Photo
When we arrived we were greeted by a receptionist who wasn't in the best of moods which didn't help my embarrassment when I had to explain why I was there. Her judging eyes took away any thoughts that my water broke, and made me feel instantly foolish. As we sat there waiting to be taken into a room I started doubting myself even more. My due date was still 3 weeks away and I hadn't been feeling any contractions, to be honest I had been feeling GREAT; earlier that day I was under my desk organizing my computer cords and 2 days ago I full on ran to catch a train. I didn't have that "get this baby out of me" feeling people get as they near the end of their pregnancy.
Photo Credit: Mary Horne Photo
When they finally got us into a room the nurse came in, checked me and very nonchalantly said "yep, your water broke." I was so shocked I made her repeat herself. Like wait, you mean I'm about to have a baby? I didn't even bring a hospital bag, I thought you guys were going to laugh at me and send me home with a pack of depends. I'm not even close to having all my baby things ready because everyone kept telling me that she would come late since she is my first.  As a matter of fact I WANTED her to be a week or two late so that her birthday would be a little further from Christmas; I was under the impression I had another 4 or 5 weeks to prepare. I didn't have a bassinet, or nursing bras, and none of her clothes were washed! But she was coming all the same so thank goodness for  family who got everything ready for her back home while I was in the hospital.
Photo Credit: Mary Horne Photo
It was now around midnight and I still wasn't having any contractions so they had to start me on pitocin to get things moving along; I wasn't thrilled about it since I heard so many horror stories about things going wrong once they induce you, but I tried to stay positive and not think about it. As   I started feeling the contractions I was like, okay I can do this it's not too bad. That was short lived. A few hours into it I was ready to beg for an epidural, luckily all I had to do was politely ask for it and got it around 6:00 am. By 10:00 am I was fully dilated and ready to go, but my nurse told me that the doctor was in another delivery and she had multiple other deliveries to do before mine. So we waited, and waited.

Photo Credit: Mary Horne Photo
At one point my nurse came in and said she would have me push a couple times to get the baby closer so that when the doctor came in I would only have a little left to push. I pushed once and the nurse yelled "STOP STOP STOP! Your baby is like RIGHT there." She then proceeded to tell me not to cough, sneeze, or laugh too hard otherwise that baby was coming out. Around 12:00 pm the nurse told me I was next and that the doctor was just outside my room eating some lunch real quick; then she came back and told me that there was another woman in labor and her baby was in distress and since me and my baby were both okay the doctor was going to take care of them first. So it was back to the waiting game, but it was a very boring game since I wasn't allowed to laugh. At last just after 2:00 pm it was my turn! The doctor got all ready, came over and with just a couple of pushes Miss Evelyn Jo Warner was born weighing 6 lbs 11 oz and 19 in long. She is a dream.
Photo Credit: Mary Horne Photo
I didn't have a professional photographer come to the hospital, but my wonderful mom was wise enough to take pictures for me while my brain wasn't working. Here are just a few of them.





Thanks for reading, I hope you're as in love with her as I am. We have also done a lot of work on the house, so I should have some posts on that soon!






1 comment:

  1. These are such adorable pictures! Evelyn is such a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete